Nutrition and Health Unit 1
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk
• Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly
• When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference
• Then, go to www.vision2learnforschools.com and send your completed Assessment to your teacher via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
1. Define what is meant by the term ‘healthy diet’.
A healthy diet is likely to include a large number or variety of foods, from each of the food …show more content…
| |bread |
| | |
10. Describe at least two examples of current healthy eating advice.
Eat the right number of calories for how active you are.
Eat a wide range of foods to ensure that you’re getting a balanced diet and that your body is receiving all the nutrients it needs.
11. Why do you think it is important to eat a wide variety of foods as part of a healthy diet?
Food variety means eating a wide variety of foods (a balanced diet) from within and across each of the five food groups, in the amounts recommended. Eating many different foods helps maintain a healthy, well-balanced and interesting diet that provides adequate nutrition. Eating a variety of foods can help prevent diseases such as diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease.
12. Define what is meant by the term ‘nutrients’.
Nutrients are small substances that are taken up by the cells to run the metabolism. For example, protein is not the nutrients for the cell it is the amino acid, the unit of protein which serves as nutrient. Starch is not the nutrient, but