1299 words 6 pagesPsychology 3420 Exam 1 Chapters 1-5
1. Culture is an adaptational response to three factors—____. These three factors combine to produce ways of living, and culture is an abstract concept that explains and describes those ways.
2. ____ is/are general beliefs and premises about oneself, the social and physical environment, and the spiritual world. Leung et al. (2002) demonstrated the universal existence of five types of ____ on the individual level in 41 cultural groups.
3. ____ refers to the degree to which cultures will encourage less powerful members of groups to accept that power is distributed unequally.
4. One of the most important thinking abilities that humans have that other animals apparently do not have is the ability to …show more content…
Which of the following refer to natural abilities that are shaped by evolutionary processes that all people presumably share?
25. Olweus (1999) outlined three criteria to define bullying. Which of the following is one of these?
26. ____ teenagers spend much more time per week (18 hours) with their peers outside of school compared with ____ (12 hours).
27. What can we learn through our interactions with our siblings according to Parke (2004)?
28. When economic status was controlled for in Abbott’s (1992) study, locally born women were more likely to have their babies sleep with them compared to mothers who were born in another state, suggesting that there were indeed ____ reasons that led to different sleeping arrangements.
29. Using Baumrind’s classifications, Chinese parents have been often described as ____. However, for Chinese parents, the significance and meaning of this parenting style may originate from a set of cultural beliefs that may differ greatly from the European American cultural belief system.
30. Parenting behaviors, sleeping arrangements, educational systems, and other concrete mechanisms are all ways of ensuring that cultural values and norms are transmitted to children. In ____, these practices are ritualized so that this transmission of information can occur generation after generation.
31. ____ is a biologically based style of interacting with the world that exists from