Multi Projects Case Study
The following report is based on a case study of Multi Projects Inc. Multi Projects Inc. is an organization that operates in a Matrix-type Organization but does not effectively and efficiently utilize this type of organizational structure to its fullest potential and this becomes disadvantageous in this particular scenario.
This is illustrated through a number of problems identified in this report such as a lack of project prioritisation, no clear and appropriate balance of power between project- and functional managers, inefficient utilisation of resources, lack of a personal development and knowledge growth programme and a display of dysfunctional behaviour by individuals.
The primary causes of the above stated …show more content…
Although, the project manager has full time role, he has only part time project management administrative staff under him. In a balanced matrix both managers control the project budget.
Weak Matrix: In a weak matrix, the project manager has a part time role with very limited power and authority. His role will be more like a coordinator or an expediter. Weak matrix structure is very close to the functional organization structure. In a weak matrix structure, the functional manager controls the project budget.
Advantages of the Matrix Organization Structure: Followings are a few advantages of the matrix organization structures:
• The main benefit of matrix organization is that highly skilled and capable resources can be shared between the functional units and important strategic projects.
• Communication is smooth across the boundaries.
• It is a good environment for professionals to develop their career.
• Project team can get the highly skilled personnel they require.
• People can be selected based on skills and suitability.
• Employees have job security.
Typically the efficiency of matrix organizations is higher.
Disadvantages of the Matrix Organization Structure: Some disadvantages of matrix organization structure are as follows:
• Employees may have to report to two bosses, which can add confusion, and conflicts may arise, particularly in the balanced matrix environment where both bosses have equal authority and power.
• Conflicts may