Chapter 6 Study Questions
Deviance is behavior or characteristics that violate important social norms. The difference between how the dictionary defines deviance and how sociologist define deviance is what may be deviant in one place, at one particular time, may not be deviant in another place and time. Basically with times changing something may or may not be tolerated as acceptable behavior.
2. What is situational deviance? Are there different degrees of deviance? Explain.
Situational deviance is relative to a particular setting as well as dependent upon who is doing the defining. There are different degrees of deviance, there’s individual and system blame. The …show more content…
16. How does society benefit from deviance? List some positive consequences of deviance. What are the negative consequences of deviance?
Society benefits from deviance because it can promote positive consequences; self evaluation and change.
17. What is the difference between statutory law and ethical or moral law?
The difference between statutory law and ethical or moral law is, statutory law
18. What is UCR and is it effective? Explain.
UCR is Uniform Crime Report. The UCR determines the level of criminal activity and consists of detailed information supplied by approximately 15,000 law enforcement agencies throughout the U.S. Although the UCR is not accurate, it is still effective because it will give law enforcement agencies a idea of crime wave patterns and the manpower that is needed based on the amount of crime the report states.
19. Who are most likely to be the victims of crime?
An individual that is vulnerable and easy to victimize as well as an individual whom situation happened in public are more likely to be victimized again.
20. How do early researchers explain the deviant/criminal behavior of women? How does this differ from the current view held by sociologists?
Early researchers saw that women deviants were more susceptible to primitive urges and emotional instability. More current views state that it is males who instigate and manipulate women to engage in