Table of Contents
Café Latte 4
Cynthia Chan 5
Stuart Chan 7
Rob Chan 8
Jeff Burns 8
The Chan Family 9
Cynthia Chan 9
Stuart Chan 10
Rob Chan 10
Jeff Burns 11
The Chan Family 11
Decision –Additional Options 14
Behavior Assessment 15
Cynthia Chan 16
Stuart Chan 16
Rob Chan 17
Decision Assessment 17
Lessons Learned 19
Case Study: Café Latte, LLC
Café Latte, a new espresso bar, is about to open in Pocatello, Idaho. The business was formed as a limited partnership between three siblings and a friend, Cynthia, Stuart, and Rob Chan, along with Jeff Burns, respectively. The Chans are somewhat knowledgeable about running a business …show more content…
• He managed the family restaurant because he felt obligated and because he could be his own boss.
• Stuart lacked any other professional experience, and resented his family for various reasons, such as: o He felt trapped because his parents needed him to remain managing the restaurant. o He felt that the other members of the family did not help out in the restaurant as much as they should have. o He felt like he was always cleaning up other siblings’ messes. o He resented Cynthia’s lifestyle.
• Stuart did not get angry with his friends.
• He lashed out at Cynthia, indicating that she did not put in enough time, that she and Rob did not know how to train employees, and that Rob had been slacking.
• Stuart threatened Cynthia with the suggestion that he would buy out her stakes in the business so he could run the business as he pleased.
• He realized that they could not afford to lose Cynthia, and wrote Cynthia an apology letter, apologizing for this temper and telling her how invaluable her skills were.
• Rob was older than Cynthia and younger than Stuart.
• He was known to be a happy-go-lucky and all-around nice guy, as well as quite generous.
• He was more of a follower than a leader.
• Rob assisted Stuart in seeking the best pieces of machinery for the espresso bar.
• He handled much of the painting and post-construction clean-up.
• It was decided that Rob would be the manager of Café Latte, and that Cynthia and