I. Intro-What is a hate crime
. A hate crime is when a person intentionally selects a victim because of the race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation. A person who commits a hate crime can come from any background and be any race. The term hate crime is meant to differentiate criminal behavior that is caused by prejudice from behavior that is motivated by greed jealously, anger, politics and like. Hate groups differ from one another in terms of membership, ideology and activities but do share one thing in common; they direct violence towards and against groups of people they do not understand. Most people committing hate crimes feel they are just doing Gods work of letting the victim know …show more content…
1. Cleveland, Ohio. A white man on a moped accidentally bumped into a truck being driven by a black man. He fell over but was not injured. A crowd of 40 white people pulled the black driver from the truck and brutally beat him. One of them climbed in the truck and ran over the driver, killing him. The crowd cheered.
2. Massachusetts. Four black men decided to murder the next white person they saw. That unlucky soul was a college student from Boston, whom the men stabbed to death.
3. Miami, Florida. The leader of a black supremacist sect (i.e., the "Yaweh ben Yaweh cult") was convicted of the murders of several white people. He ordered his followers to kill any and all "white devils." They killed at least seven white people, bringing back body parts to their leader.
VIII. Ten Ways to stop/reduce hate crimes (include handouts)
1. Act- do something
2. Unite- call a friend/family member, co-worker; anyone you can truly trust
3. Support the victims- Victims are vulnerable and need support from loved ones around them
4. Do your homework- determine if hate groups are involved
5. Create an