Poetry and Ann Bradstreet
921 words 4 pagesEdward Taylor and Ann Bradstreet Study Questions
For Lesson Notes (1-7) and for Lesson Completion (8-13)
Part One (To complete upon viewing the ppt. presentation)
1) Based on what we know about the Puritans and how they viewed worldly objects and creative expression, why would it seem ironic that there are several among them who remain influential poets today? It would seem ironic because they had left few personal belongings behind them, but puritans confined within their culture so they can have a personal attachment.
2) A. Identify two similarities in the lives of Edward Taylor and Ann Bradstreet. B. Identify one to two key differences in their lives. Two similarities are they came with Puritans upbringing and they had hard …show more content…
11) What references to heaven does Bradstreet include in the poem, and what references to the natural world does she include in this poem? The reference for heaven is “The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray” and the reference for natural world is “I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold “.
12) Do the vocabulary words we have noted – recompense, manifold, persevere – in your opinion, reference her strong feelings about heaven or her strong feelings about the natural world? Be sure to explain your answer and reference the poem when explaining this. I Think It does because In these lines it shows how deeply she feels and her personal connection. Its showing how much love and life means to her.
13) Nor ought but love from thee, give recompense.
14) Thy love is such I can no way repay,
15) The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
16) Then while we live, in love let's so persevere
17) That when we live no more, we may live ever. “
18) Knowing they are both Christians, what similarities can you pin point in the Christian beliefs of Edward Taylor and Ann Bradstreet? Use their poems as your example. Some Pin points that I can point out is in both they are calling on god for help and feeling like something is on their backs and they trying to let themselves know