Demand Side Management
Demand-side management sustainable energy regulation and policymaking for africa
MODULE 14: DEMAND-SIDE MANAGEMENT page iii
1. MODULE OBJECTIVES 14.1
1.1. Module overview 14.1
1.2. Module aims 14.1
1.3. Module learning outcomes 14.2
2. INTRODUCTION 14.3
3. WHY PROMOTE DSM? 14.5
4. WHAT DRIVES DSM? 14.7
4.1. Cost reduction and environmental motives 14.8
4.2. Reliability and network motives 14.10
5. TYPES OF DSM MEASURES 14.13
5.1. Energy reduction programmes 14.13
5.2. Load management programmes 14.31
5.3. Load growth and conservation programmes 14.34
6. INFORMATION DISSEMINATION ON DSM 14.37
7. CHALLENGES OF IMPLEMENTING DSM PROGRAMMES 14.39
8. CONCLUSION 14.41
LEARNING RESOURCES 14.43
Key points …show more content…
_ To describe energy auditing and routine data collection and monitoring, and to indicate their benefits.
_ To outline information dissemination on demand-side management.
_ To provide an overview of the major implementation challenges for DSM programmes. 1.3. Module learning outcomes
The module attempts to achieve the following learning outcomes:
• To be able to define demand-side management.
• To understand the different types of demand-side management measures and their suitability to various energy users.
• To be aware of the benefits of good reliable data collection for regular performance analysis, and as an essential part of energy auditing.
• To appreciate the need for effective information dissemination.
• To understand the challenges facing the implementation of demand-side management. SUSTAINABLE ENERGY REGULATION AND POLICYMAKING TRAINING MANUAL page 14.2
This module covers “demand-side management” or DSM, as applied to energy efficiency measures that modify or reduce end-users’ energy demand. This has traditionally been applied to electricity loads but is also used for changes that can be made to demands for all types of energy. The benefits for the energy user are reduced energy costs for a given output (production level or other measure of activity). For the energy provider, the benefit is a better use of