Chapter 1 Review Questions
1. How would you define “organization development”?
Answer: Organization development is a series of planned behavioral science intervention activities with the purpose of increasing the effectiveness of the system and developing the potential of all individual members. OD efforts are planned, systematic approaches to change that are carried out in collaboration with organization members to help find improved ways of working together toward individual and organizational goals.
2. How does OD differ from a single-change technique such as management training?
Answer: OD represents a systems approach that is concerned with the interrelationship of various divisions, departments, groups, and …show more content…
2. Contrast the differences between a stable and a hyperturbulent environment.
Answer: Stable environment means unchanging basic products and services, competition, etc. A hyperturbulent or changing environment means rapidly changing products, competition, innovation, etc.
3. Compare and contrast the four types of management orientations used in relating to the environment.
Answer: Reactive—waits until something happens, then reacts.
Sluggish Thermostats—resists change and slow to adapt.
Satisficing—does only what is necessary to get by, “good enough.” Renewal Transformation—looks ahead to prepare for change, makes necessary contingency plans in advance
4. Explain a sociotechnical system and its five components.
Answer: An organization is an open system of coordinated human and technical activities. The functions and processes of the organization are not considered as isolated elements. Instead they are parts reacting to and influencing the rest of the