Modernization of NTUC Income
1. Please read the case study that starts on the next page. 2. Answer all 5 questions below.
1. What were the problems faced by Income in this case? How were the problems resolved by the new digital system?
2. What types of information systems, communication and business processes were used by Income before migrating to the fully digital system?
3. Describe the Information systems and IT infrastructure at Income after migrating to the fully digital system?
4. What communication and information systems benefits did Income reap from the new system?
5. How well is Income prepared for the future? Are the problems described in the case likely to be repeated?
Chapter 2 Global …show more content…
For example, all servicing branches were equipped with scanners; monitors were changed to 20 inches; PC RAM size was upgraded to 128 MB; and new hardware and software for application servers, database servers, web servers, and disk storage systems were installed. Furthermore, the LAN cables were replaced with faster cables, a fiber-optic backbone, and wireless capability. In addition, Income also revamped its business continuity and disaster-recovery plans. A real-time hot backup disaster-recovery center was implemented, where the machines were always running and fully operational. Data was transmitted immediately on the fly from the primary datacenter to the backup machines' data storage. In the event of the datacenter site becoming unavailable, the operations could be switched quickly to the disasterrecovery site without the need to rely on restoration of previous day data. Moving to a paperless environment, however, was not easy. Income had to throw away all paper records, including legal paper documents. Under the new system, all documents were scanned and stored on "trusted" storage devices - secured, reliable digital vaults that enabled strict compliance with stringent statutory requirements. Income had to train employees who had been accustomed to working with paper to use the eBao system and change the way they worked. As a result of adopting eBao Life System, about 500 office staff and