Exam 2 Ch 3 4 HCC SPRING 2015 Ritzer W O Answers
Houston Community College – Southwest
EXAM 2 (ch. 3-4) – SPRING 2015
Research Methods and Culture
Introduction to Sociology – SOCI 1301
Short answers and completed scan-tron due at beginning of class on
Wednesday, MARCH 25.
Choose the BEST answer. Bubble in the letter on the scantron that corresponds with the BEST answer (1 pt each)
1) While the findings of sociologists may at times seem like common sense, they differ from common sense because they rest on
a) Unorganized facts
b) Strong feelings
d) What you see is what you get
e) Systematic analysis of facts using the scientific method
2) A sociologist’s study of homeless men on New York’s Sixth Avenue involves hanging out with the …show more content…
19) Which of the following cases illustrates a researcher NOT being objective in the conduct of their research, and thereby undermining the research process?
a. A researcher with a strong opinion on abortion doing interviews with people about their views on abortion
b. A researcher committed to a particular theory altering the reporting of her results to make them conform to her theory
c. A researcher who consistently votes Republican analyzing survey data on why some people consistently vote Republican
d. A researcher who tricks research subjects into believing they are giving electric shocks to another person when in reality no shocks are being given
e. All of the above
20) The specific approval rating of the U.S. president would be an example of:
a. Qualitative data
b. Quantitative data
c. Theoretical data
e. None of the above
21) Qualitative research is:
a. Useful only to sociologists because they are the only ones who would understand the results.
b. Seen only in sociology because other sciences tend to do research based on the scientific method.
c. Research that translates the social world into numbers and often tries to find cause and effect relationships.
d. Research that works with non-numerical data and often tries to understand how people make sense of their social world.
e. None of the above
22) Which of the following is true about ethnography?
a. Critique of ethnographies is that they may lack