Acid in the Stomach
When people refer to acid they usually see it as a corrosive liquid that can dissolve metals or change the color of a substance. So they think of acid as a dangerous matter for the body and believe it can easily dissolve your skin. What I have previously listed are indeed properties of certain acids, such as Hydrofluoric Acid which can cause irreversible tissue damage if it comes in contact with skin, but not all acids are this strong. As a matter of fact what a lot of people forget is that we have acid in our stomachs. The human stomach contains Hydrochloric Acid but when in the stomach, it is referred to as Gastric Acid.
It may be surprising that our stomachs contain Hydrochloric Acid because it is one of …show more content…
As you know too much of anything, even if it is something good, is too much. Therefore when you have an excess of Hydrochloric Acid in your stomach it also has some negative effects on your body.
When you have an overload of Gastric Acid you may experience the subsequent:
• Gastro-oesophageal reflux
• Stomach ulcers, which is the destruction of the enteric coating
The articles that can trigger the overproduction of acid are:
• Infection with a bacterium called Helicobacter Pylori
• Excessive intake of irritants (such as spices, coffee, tea, cola drinks and caffeine-containing energy drinks)
There are various treatments possible for theses conditions and those are:
• Proton-pump inhibitors which are medications that reduce the amount of acid the stomach produces
• Avoiding the consumption of alcohol, spicy food and condiments, cigarette smoking, rich fatty foods and caffeine
• Antibiotics to eradicate Helicobacter Pylori infections
• Reduction of stress by exercise, relaxing exercises, psychotherapy, anti-stress medication, hypnotism, yoga or any other method that relieves stress and anxiety
• Avoidance of individual foods that may cause discomfort