P1 – Explain the Role of Effective Communication and Interpersonal Interaction in a Health and Social Care Context
Communication is highly important, especially in an elderly care setting. It is useful in many different ways and situations, for example; if the service user had vision impairments, it is important that the professional speaks loud and clearly pronunciating properly however is not patronising in any way making the service user feel uncomfortable. This gets important information, such as changes to medication, across clearly to the service user without them feeling uncomfortable or unaware.
Different contexts of communication are used in many different care setting situations such as;
• One to one – One to one …show more content…
Non verbal however may be used by those who have eye and speech conditions and hearing impairments etc. Types of non verbal communication include;
• Braille – Braille is used by those who have visual impairments or those who are completely blind. It uses a set of dots \9raised from the surface) that are felt to determine letters and punctuation.
• Makaton – Makaton is a form of sign language and black and white images used alongside or next to simple chat. It’s often seen on children’s programmes in the corner of the TV; Makaton is mostly aimed at those who are deaf or have speech impairments.
• Written communication – Written communication is fairly important. It allows the professionals to transfer information written down permanently without barriers. It may also be useful for those who have issues with speech and impairments and those who generally have trouble with verbal communication. In an elderly care setting written communication may be used when dealing with issues linked with medication.
• Body language – Body language is a type of non verbal communication. Different forms of body language including posture, appearance, head hand and eye movements, facial expressions, sounds, ways of talking and body contact. Body language says a lot about one person especially if the personality is considered shy and quiet. Body language may give off incorrect signals or signals may be misread. This could make communicating very difficult;