Week One Study Guide
As you read this week’s required materials, complete this study guide. Review the material to study for the final examination in Week Five. This is a multipage assignment: double-check that you have completed each page before submitting.
History and Archaeology
I. Fill in the blanks to complete the following sentences.
• The written record of the past and the study of past written records is called History .
• The study of the past based on recovering and identifying artifacts and making inferences about those who left these artifacts is called Archaeology .
• Both historians and archaeologists describe the past. Historians study written records …show more content…
• The Saljuqs (also known as Seljuks or Saljuks) were the earliest significant Islamic rulers from Turkish peoples. They extended their rule from Transoxiana to the Iranian Plateau, Mesopotamia, much of the Near East, and Asia Minor during
the 11th century.
• The vizier Nizam al-Mulk ruled the Saljuk empire through two sultans, building roads, caravanserais, canals, mosques, and madrasas.
• In the 12th century, the Saljuk empire lost territory in Anatolia to the Byzantine or Eastern Roman Empire, and was then destroyed in the year 1194 by the Khwarizm-Shahs.
IV. Identify at least one element of Saljuq culture for each of the following categories. One example is provided: for that category, identify at least one additional cultural element.
| |Saljuq cultural elements |
|intellectual contributions |Madrasah; legal-theological schools |
| |The siyasatnamah by Nizam al-Mulk |