Mis Laudon 12th Ed Chapter 5 Answer
7123 words 29 pagesChapter 5
Foundations of Business Intelligence: Database and
Student Learning Objectives
1. How does a relational database organize data, and how does it differ from an object-oriented database?
2. What are the principles of a database management system?
3. What are the principal tools and technologies for accessing information from databases to improve business performance and decision making?
4. What is the role of information policy and data administration in the management of organizational data resources?
5. Why is data quality assurance so important for a business?
5.1 The Database Approach to Data Management
Entities and Attributes Organizing Data in a Relational Database …show more content…
Help your students see how a logical design allows them to analyze and understand the data from a business perspective, while physical design shows how the database is arranged on direct access storage devices. At this point, you can use the enrollment process at your university as an example. Have your students prepare a logical design for the enrollment process. Discuss the three operations of a relational DBMS: select, project, and join. A database management system is comprised of three components: a data definition language, data dictionary, and data manipulation language. If you have access to a relational DBMS during class time, you can demonstrate several of the concepts presented in this section.
The concept of using databases stored in cloud computing data centers is introduced in this section and piggybacks on cloud computing concepts introduced in Chapter 4.
Section 5.3, “Using Databases to Improve Business Performance and Decision Making” This section focuses on how data technologies are actually used: data warehouses, data marts, business intelligence, multidimensional data analysis, and data mining. Regardless of their career choice, students will probably use some or all of these in their jobs. For example, data warehouses and data marts are important to many business functions. They are critical for those who want to use data mining