Juan Seguín

1165 words 5 pages
Juan Seguín

Juan Nepomuceno Seguín
27 October 1806
San Antonio, Texas
August 27, 1890 ( age 83)
Nuevo Laredo, Mexico
Republic of Texas
Texan Army, Republic of Texas Militia, Republic of Texas Army
Years of service
1835–1836, 1836–1842
Texan volunteer and regular army
Battle of Concepcion
Siege of Bexar
Siege of the Alamo
Runaway Scrape
Battle of San Jacinto
Texas-Indian Wars
Juan Nepomuceno Seguin – Was a 19th-century Texas Senator, mayor, judge, and Justice of the Peace and a prominent participant in the Texas Revolution. Juan Nepomuceno Seguin was born in San Antonio de Bexar on October 27, 1806. He was the older of two sons of Erasmo Seguin
…show more content…

During March 1843, Colonel Seguin and the citizens of San Antonio would seek refuge at Manuel Flores Ranch in the city of Seguin, Texas. A counterattack was planned Seguin had pursued the army of Rafael Vasquez and chased them from Texas; then he was blamed for the attack. Seguin resigned from office in April, due to threats on his life. Do to his defense of Texas rights and false charges that he was aiding the Mexican army, proved too much to bear. He went to Mexico to seek refuge amongst my enemies, to where he was captured, arrested and was forced to enlist in the Mexican army. He returned to San Antonio with the army of Adrian Woll in September 1842 and later served under Santa Anna in the Mexican-American War of 1846–1848.
In February 1848, Seguin requested permission to return to Texas. By the end of the year, he had returned to Texas, establishing a home next to his father’s house, in Floresville, Texas. He was elected to two terms as Justice of the Peace of Bexar County in 1852 and 1854. He became a founding father of the Democratic Party in Bexar County. In 1858, he published his life memoirs. Seguin served as County Judge in Wilson County in 1869. However, business dealings ended up taking him back to Mexico around 1883, and then he settled in Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico so he could be near his son Santiago. He later died there on August 27, 1890. His remains were returned to Texas in 1974 and