Chapter 3 Basic Geriatrics Study Guide
1336 words 6 pagesChapter 3 Study Guide/Key Terms
Physiologic Changes pg. 384-386
1. With aging, the __epidermis (skin)___ becomes increasingly fragile and subject to damage.
2. Clusters of __melanocytes___ cause age spots. The medical term for these is __senile lentigo__.
3. Loss of ___elastin fibers (elasticity)___ results in wrinkles.
4. Dry skin, or __xerosis__, is likely to result in itching, or __pruritus___.
5. Common skin disorders in older adults include: a. carcinoma b. melanoma c. pressure ulcers d. inflammation e. infections f. senile purpura
6. Loss of subcutaneous tissue can reduce the ability of older adults to regulate body temperature, leading to …show more content…
39. Farsightedness that occurs with aging is called __hyperopia__.
40. Changes in the aging eye make it difficult to see in __light__ or __dark___ environments. A severe form of this problem can cause _night blindness_.
41. Fluid secretion in the eyes decreases with aging, resulting in decrease __tear__ production, leading to __dry__, __burning__, or __itching__ eyes.
42. A clouding of the lens, called __cataracts__, is common with aging. By age 85, __46__% of older adults develop this condition.
43. Glaucoma is characterized by increased __intraocular pressure__, which will cause __blindness__ if not treated.
44. Hearing changes with aging are likely to result in loss of the __high__ -pitched frequencies. This condition, called __prebycusis__, is more commonly observed in __men__.
45. Older adults often comment on changes in the taste of food. This may be caused by decreased sensory __receptors__ or may be a side effect of __medications or disease_.
46. Decreased amounts of thyroid-stimulating hormone cane lead to a decrease in the basal __metabolic__ rate.
47. Altered function of the ___Beta__ cells of the pancreas leads to a disease called _Diabetes Mellitus__. The incidence of this disorder __increases__ with each decade of life. Approximately ____23____% of persons older than 70 years of age have altered glucose metabolism.
48. Classic signs and symptoms of diabetes mellitus include: a.