2.1 Strengths and Limitations of Assessment Methods
Selecting Assessment Methods
There is a large variety of assessment methods available for assessing learners’ achievements. These include observation; questioning the learner; examining product evidence; discussion; witness testimony; looking at learner statements; recognising prior learning; simulated environment; skills tests; oral and written examinations; assignments; case studies and projects. Choosing the most appropriate assessment methods is vitally important, to help and support the learner and to ensure the job of the assessor is as straightforward, reliable and problem-free as possible.
In selecting methods of assessment the main aim is to choose methods that most …show more content…
Examining Product Evidence
Product evidence can involve a work sample provided by the candidate or a collection of materials that present and verify skills and knowledge, in the form of a portfolio.
1. Provides evidence which anyone can examine
2. Is a lasting record of competence
3. Enables reflection on learning
4. Provides a real life context
5. Direct, practical and learner-centred 1. It is important that all candidates have access to the same instructions and resources
2. Does not allow for process observation
3. May favour candidates with strong writing skills, particularly in the case of a portfolio
4. May provide a barrier to learning for a candidate with poor writing skills
5. There is a question as to whether the fact someone can write about how they carry out a task proves that they can perform that task in an actual practical situation
Case Studies and Projects
Case studies are student centred activities based on topics that demonstrate theoretical concepts in an applied setting, as is project-based learning. A project could include workbooks, assignments, research tasks and products.
1. Encourages active learning
2. Bridges the gap between theory and practice; applying principles to real-life situations
3. Increases the candidates’ enjoyment of the topic, providing relevance, and hence increases their